Though mental health is something that affects us every day, World Mental Health Day, observed annually on October 10th, is a great reminder to address & talk about an often unexplored topic.
According to the World Health Organization, the objective of this day is "raising awareness of mental health issues around the world and mobilizing efforts in support of mental health". This is something we at The Medical Station care deeply about.
Dignity in Mental Health
The theme of this year's World Mental Health Day is dignity in mental health. Dignity typically refers to an individual's inherent value and worth, regardless of factors such as gender, income, age, or health status. Dignity in mental health means we all have a responsibility to treat every individual, particularly those facing mental health challenges, with respect and we must actively fight against the pervasive stigma and discrimination in our society.
How Can You Support Dignity in Mental Health?
We can all play a part in working towards the vision of dignity in mental health. Here are some helpful tips and reminders on what you can do:
- listen and be empathetic and non-judgemental to those with mental health challenges; do not belittle or disregard their thoughts, feelings, and needs
- support people with mental health conditions to participate in community life; make a special effort to include those who may be facing barriers
- respect the autonomy and decisions of those affected by mental health challenges
- advocate, formally or informally, for the inclusion, respect, and rights of those with mental health challenges
- make mental health visible - one in five people in Canada experience a mental health problem or illness - lets talk about it!
- ask questions and get educated - here are some helpful resources to get you started: Canadian Mental Health Association, World Federation for Mental Health Report, Mental Health Commission of Canada
Mental Health at The Medical Station
At The Medical Station, we strive to provide a safe and comfortable environment for clients who may be dealing with mental health challenges. We know there is no health without mental health - we seek to provide care, resources, and support to help all of our clients, including those who may be struggling with any mental health challenges or diagnoses.